Monday, August 5, 2013

Boarding Looks at New York City as a Fashion Hub


Boarding is a novel set in New York City featuring a fashion designer, Jessie Carter.
Why New York?
When I first created the character of Jessie Carter in my short story Layover I had her from flying from New York to her home in Los Angeles but she first had to make a stop in Chicago where she had a layover.
I envisioned her as a young fashion designer trying to make a brand name for herself and I saw New York as the place to do so.
The New York EDC says the city is "at the center of fashion" with "more headquarters of fashion designers and fashion retailers than any other city in the country."
Some of the latest figures estimate fashion trade shows bring in almost 300,000 visitors to the area.
The video I selected is of New York's midtown garment district.
In Chapter One, Jessie Carter is sitting tensely in a mid-town Manhattan office building while the manager of the model she hopes to meet is viewing her portfolio and pondering her fate. Her adventures take her to a photo studio on the west side, an Upper East Side condo, and an apartment in Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment